Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tech Trek ~ Part 2

*Go read Tech Trek ~ Part 1 before this one if you haven't already.*

              Classes throughout the week were the one of the most interesting diverse classes I've had. I really enjoyed listening about how Pixar movies are made by woman by the name of Danielle Feinberg. She is a long time Pixar employee who has worked on the lighting of many movies such as Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. The lecture started out with explaining the philosophy of Pixar movies. The story itself is more important than the money made on it. According to her, that's what makes the movies so brilliant and entertaining. She demonstrated making and animated figure by using a software called maya. Coordinates in math turn out to be useful (who new) and are used to structure objects and people in movies. Turns out, a simple wavy line can turn into a 3-D vase.

             A woman came and spoke to us about the Night Sky. I learned more about our universe and what makes it so special. I learned the earth has and SPF of 250 and that the northern lights are the effect of the sun's rays affecting the magnetic sphere. Later in the week, we went star gazing out in an open field with large telescopes. Much of what I learned at the speech, I saw out there. I looked at the Moon's many craters and Saturn's icy rings. I saw Betelguese, the star that was the closest to Earth and the closest to exploding. It was beautiful looking at the stars.

            And as my brother has requested I shall talk about food. Yes, food. We had 3 meals a day and the Stanford campus turns out to have delicious food in their cafeteria. Although the meal timings were a bit weird (dinner started at 5:30) all of us made the most of what we had. Breakfast consisted of fruit, eggs, cereal, french toast, pancakes, pastries, and donuts. Lots and lots of donuts. Lunch was different everyday. It varied from Mexican fajitas to Thai curry and rice to even Indian food. Pasta was a constant at both lunch and dinner as well as pizza. Dinner also had many options and there was always a desert. Whether it was coconut creme pie or carrot cake, it was always there to feast on. Then there was the soda machine. We went absolutely nuts on it. With no one to supervise our eating habits, some of us had soda for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And lets not forget the ice cream machine. Oh, the ice cream machine. There was always a large line to get a large serving of that desert. Being inventive, I stuck vanilla ice cream into my root beer soda and made a root beer float. Now that was yummy. Now there's one more reason to go to Stanford for college. The food is good.

            There were a few more classes I had like Robotics and the Spaghetti Bridge challenge. It truly learned a lot that week and had so much fun. I made new friends, met new people, and got to meet people that had the same interests as I do. I will never forget this experience I had and what I learned.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE SODA, ICECREAM, AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF! YUMMY! Can you write more about the Spaghetti Bridge challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajee, what an amazing experience. It sounds like it was inspiring and life changing! Hopefully you also make lifelong friends. We are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ICE CREAM, DONUTS GALORE!!!
    I bet you had fun eating!!!
    I love Pixar movies!!! :))))))
    What's Spaghetti challenge, do you eat spaghetti??? Or something??
    Wow!! That must be really fun and exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete